A COMPLETE LIE - Apple's MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program (Flexgate)

Apple’s backlight service program supposedly gives free display repairs to all 2016 MacBook Pro models that experienced the design flaw issue; however, the service program is a lie.

My MacBook Pro 2016 was denied by Apple for the service program, because my “serial number did not qualify”. Although I encountered the same exact issues as stated on the Backlight Service Program, Apple did not care and forced me to spend over $700 CAD for the display repair. Apple’s website states that “Affected devices were sold between October 2016 and February 2018. Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service affected MacBook Pro units, free of charge”. My 2016 Pro was bought in late 2016, so I am definitely eligible for the service program, but somehow, some way, Apple has found a way to make up an excuse and avoid repairing my display free of charge.

Please read the following for more details of the issue,

Apple launched the “13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program” in May 2019. The service program states that the eligible 2016 models affected by the display issue can get the repair service free of charge, and customers who already paid for the repair can get a refund. However, when affected customers contacted Apple support or visited the Apple store, Apple avoids providing the free display repair or repair refund. Apple responds to customers by making up excuses, such as “the serial number does not qualify”, or “the system does not process”, or not giving a single reason.

The service program states that eligible models are affected by the behaviours of “vertical bright areas along the entire bottom of the screen”, and “display backlight stops working completely”. Countless users report experiencing the same behaviours, but Apple does not look at the factual evidence and says that their models does not qualify because of their “specific serial number”.

Apple recognized the design flaw in the MacBook Pro and thus launched this service program. However, they do not treat customers who should be eligible for the program fairly. Those affected users denied by Apple due to their serial number are forced to pay over $700 CAD ($500 USD) to get the entire display repaired.

We kindly ask that Apple fix their “13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program”, by allowing all of the 2016 or later MacBook Pro’s affected by the issue to be eligible for the free display repair or repair refund.

Thank you.

Apple could simply be telling every MacBook Pro 2016 users that their device’s serial number is not on the service program’s list, so Apple can take more money from customers and not provide the free display repair that they stated to offer.

Another excuse that many other Apple users have reported is how the Apple engineers would reject your request for a free display repair by saying that your device does not qualify for the service program. Apple does not give a reason to why, and just says “No”.

As far as I know, this service program covers every MacBook Pro 2016 13-inch.
Have you tried calling the Official Apple Support?

It just started happening to my 2016 15" MacBook Pro.